This page contains affiliate links. This means that we may get a small commission for recommending products, if you choose to click on something and buy it. This does not cost you anything, but we wanted to be honest and let you know!(Last Updated On: 9th August 2022)
If you have never had a dog car seat for your pet, you should not delay another day in getting one. Once you experience your beloved pet being able to ride along in comfort and safety, you will wonder why you didn’t have one before!
Not only is it safer for your dog, but it is also much more comfortable for your pet as it gives them a designated and comfy place to sit. It puts them up where they can see what is happening and keeps them off your lap.
A dog car seat will also keep the interior of your vehicle cleaner, and most seats have the ability for you to wash them when needed.
Remember that each state will have its own Law Regarding Driving With Dogs In The Car: Top Tips. Make sure that you check out those laws where you live or any area or state that you might be driving through.
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Dog Car Seats
- 2 Best Dog Car Seat Reviews
- 3 K&H Pet Products Bucket Booster Pet Seat
- 4 PetSafe Happy Ride Deluxe Booster Seat for Dogs
- 5 BLOBLO Dog Car Seat Pet Booster Seat
- 6 SWIHELP Pet Car Booster Seat Travel Carrier
- 7 Kurgo Car Pet Booster Seat for Dogs
- 8 Safety Guide for Dog Car Seats
- 9 Where Do You Install A Dog Car Seat?
- 10 In Conclusion
Best Dog Car Seats
|Dog Car Seat||Features||Ratings|
|K&H Pet Bucket||Washable plush quilted fleece cover||5|
|PetSafe Happy Ride Deluxe||Comes with an adjustable buckle design||4.9|
|BLOBLO||It comes with an adjustable buckle design||4.9|
|SWIHELP||Waterproof and wear-resistant mat inside seat||4.8|
|Kurgo||Internal metal supports for strength||4.7|
Best Dog Car Seat Reviews
The K&H Bucket Booster gives you a pet car seat that provides a safe and controlled area for your pet to ride in your car.
Not only does the Bucket Booster give you peace of mind by keeping your pooch safe, but the K&H also keeps your pet in mind too by elevating it so they can see the action out the window.
This dog car seat has a durable heavy-denier fabric exterior. There is a firm bolster around the edge of the seat that makes it perfect for your pet to lay their head on and there are no rough or sharp edges that would be uncomfortable.
This booster will securely fit in either the front or back seat of your vehicle, as the contoured back of the booster ensures a snug fit inside your vehicle.
The K&H Bucket Booster securely buckles in with the seat best under the removable cushion so that it is not in your pet’s way.
With a quick install and uninstall, the Bucket Booster makes it easy to take it along or switch from vehicle to vehicle. It is even easy for your pet to get in and out of the booster seat.
- Washable plush quilted fleece cover
- Easy in for your pet and easy install for you
- 24″ wide, 16″ high, and 14.5″ deep
The PetSafe Happy Ride booster gives your dog a seat with a view. Unlike other dog car seats, the Happy Ride is unique in its design.
It elevates your pet off the car seat to see where they are going and what is going on. This ability also makes for a much more relaxed and enjoyable ride for your pet.
Easy to install, you can secure the PetSafe booster seat in less than a minute. The padded interior has a fleece liner that is soft and comfortable, and the internal harness attachment keeps your dog secure while you travel.
The two adjustable straps wrap around your vehicle’s headrest to allow you to choose the perfect height for your pet.
The PetSafe is ideal for pets that weigh up to 25 pounds. The seat measures 20″ long, 14″ wide, and 10″ high.
- Headrest required for use
- Safety leash included
- Fleece liner removes for washing
Made from Oxford cloth, the Bloblo car seat for dogs will keep your pet comfortable, resistant to bites, and durable. The Bloblo dog car seat is easy to install and is suitable for a variety of car models.
The adjustable buckle design helps keep it in place in either the front or back seat. The seat is shaped like a small upholstered and cushioned armchair.
The Bloblo has side storage pockets for toys, treats, or leashes, keeping them handy and at the ready.
The dog car seat comes in three different designs: blue, coffee stripe, and red stripe. Easy to install, the Bloblo is also ideal in the house as a bed.
Best for small to medium pets, the booster seat is 21.7″ long, 19.7″ wide, and 11.8″ in height.
- Made of high-quality material
- It comes with an adjustable buckle design
- Easy to install and is machine washable
Great for a small dog, the Swihelp dog car seat works well to take your pet along with you for the ride. The sturdy PVC frame keeps the car seat in shape.
Two safety belts fix the seat in place and keep it from sliding on the seat. Adjustable straps fit most vehicles, and the ring hook in the seat is where you will hook the dog’s harness.
Made from waterproof Oxford material, the sir circulating mesh will help keep your pet cool.
- Fold-up design for convenient storage
- Adjustable strap design
- Waterproof and wear-resistant mat inside seat
The Kurgo Skybox Booster seat gives your dog a bird’s eye view while cruising along for the ride. The removable corduroy lining gives your pet a comfortable place to sit or lie safely.
The Skybox installs quickly and securely, and the dog car seat belt tether is adjustable. It is also easily attached to any dog harness to keep your dog in the booster seat.
There are zippered storage pockets for keeping toys and other accessories within reach. Best for dogs up to 20 pounds, the Skybox is 16″ wide, 12″ deep, and 8″ high.
- Waterproof exterior
- Machine washable liner
- Internal metal supports for strength
Safety Guide for Dog Car Seats
Having a seat for your pet will help keep them in one spot in the vehicle, rather than letting them roam or jump around the car. This type of free range can be very distracting to the driver and can cause injury to the pet.
Dr. Carol Osborne, DVM, from Chagrin Falls Pet Clinic, says that “Dogs should be safely and comfortably restrained during all car trips to protect everyone involved—no one plans on having an accident, but accidents occur,” says Dr. Carol Osborne, DVM, an integrative veterinarian, and owner of Chagrin Falls Pet Clinic.
“Dogs roaming around in your vehicle can inadvertently cause an accident, and you can both be injured as a result.” And even if a dog doesn’t cause an accident, it can be severely injured or injure others if they become airborne.
Here are some tips on what to avoid:
- Do not attach a cart seat tether to a dog’s leash. It could cause neck injury in a crash or could choke them during transport. Use a safety harness and attach the tether to the harness.
- Always secure your pet to the seat tether when riding in a booster seat. They could jump out of a window if not secured.
- Just as with a child, never leave your dog alone in the car under any circumstances, even if the windows are cracked. Car interiors can heat over 40 degrees in under an hour. It would not take long for your pet to overheat.
- When you have your pet in the car, keep your eyes on the road and not on your dog. If you are just introducing your pet to a booster seat, let them sit in the seat in the house so that they get used to it. Then move it to the car, where you sit in the parked vehicle with them for a few minutes at a time so that they get used to it.
- If you feel that your pet might have an accident in the booster seat, place a waterproof diaper changing pad over the cover. This will keep liquids from soaking the seat and avoid mold or bacteria that might be harmful to your pet.
Where Do You Install A Dog Car Seat?
It is always best to install the dog car seat in the back of your car. Many manufacturers of pet car seats say that they can be installed in either the front or back seats of cars. This is true; they will fit.
But if there is an accident, an airbag could do serious harm to your pet. The best place is in the back passenger side of the car. You will be able to check on your pet in the mirror, and they will also be able to see you.
Tips For Being On The Road With Your Dog
- Allow enough time to make plenty of stops. This will allow your pet to stretch its legs, answer the call of nature and burn off a bit of energy.
- If your pet has not been in the car much, start with short journeys if at all possible. Some dogs get motion sickness which can make it pretty unpleasant for them.
- Don’t feed your dog while driving. Feed them at least three hours before your start time.
- It is not a good idea to give your pet treats on a trip, either. Dogs have been known to choke when eating on the move.
- Although they might love it, try not to let your dog hang out the window. It can dry their eyes out, and they can get hit in the face by debris.
- Keep the car well ventilated, and have the air on if it is hot outside.
You love your pet and enjoy spending time together, even on trips in the car.
Having a dog car seat gives you peace of mind and your furry friend an elevated and comfortable set that keeps them where the action is.
There are various styles for dog car seats, and you are sure to find one that suits both of you!
Ian is an avid outdoorsman and dog lover. He lives in Central Florida with his wife Heather, and their 2 dogs – Panda (Purebread Rough Collie X English Golden Retriever) & Kuma (Blue Merl Purebread Rough Collie)