Going out for a walk with your dog can be one of the most relaxing activities and a great way to relieve stress. However, if your dog or dogs are rough and like to pull or lunge, it can become a stressful and painful chore.
Besides being diligent about training your dog, making sure that you’re investing in the best leash is really going to help reduce the strain and give you more control over the movement of your dog. Find the right gear can be overwhelming, so use this guide as a tool to help you decide on the perfect leash for you and your dog’s needs.
Table of Contents
- 1 Product Reviews
- 1.0.1 BAAPET 5 FT Strong Dog Leash with Comfortable Padded Handle
- 1.0.2 TUG Patented 360° Tangle-Free, Heavy Duty Retractable Dog Leash
- 1.0.3 PetSafe Nylon Dog Leash, Strong and Durable Traditional Style Leash
- 1.0.4 Primal Pet Gear Dog Leash 6ft Long – Traffic Padded Two Handle
- 1.0.5 Paw Lifestyles Retractable Hands-Free Dog Leash W/Smartphone Pouch
- 1.0.6 Dual Dog Leash, Double Dog Leash, 360°Swivel No Tangle
- 1.0.7 SparklyPets Heavy Duty Rope Leash for Large and Medium Dogs
- 1.1 TaoTronics Retractable Dog Leash, 16 ft Dog Walking Leash
- 1.2 TaoTronics Retractable Hands-Free Dog Leash
- 1.3 Friends Forever Extremely Durable Dog Slip Rope Leash
- 1.4 How To Choose the Best Dog Leash for Pulling
|Dog Leash||Ratings||Dog Sizes|
|BAAPET||4.7||5 FT Strong|
|TUG Patented||4.2||16 FT Strong|
|PetSafe Nylon Dog Leash||4.4||3.8 in. x 6 FT|
|Primal Pet Gear Dog Leash||4.7||6 FT|
|Paw Lifestyles Retractable||4.5||150 LBS|
|Dual Dog Leash||4.5||20-35 in.|
|SparklyPets Heavy Duty Rope Leash||4.7||L and M Dogs|
|TaoTronics Retractable||3.9||16 FT|
|TaoTronics Retractable Hands-Free||4.6||150 LBS|
|Friends Forever Extremely||4.6||6 FT|
BAAPT is an up and coming, lesser known brand specializing in very high-quality pet gear and accessories. This particular leash is built for the strongest medium and large sized dogs. Whether you’re taking them out walking, running, hiking or anything else, you’ll enjoy the durable build and Comfortable handle.
The dog leash itself is made of ½ inch thick rock climbing rope and features a padded handle for added comfort. You’ll also feel safe taking your dog out in the dark with the reflective threads that are woven into the material of the rope.
- Strong, durable clip hook for your dog’s collar with 360-degree rotation
- Padded handle prevents discomfort and rope burn
- Double stitching prevents seams from breaking
- Maybe too heavy and bulky for smaller dogs and puppies to walk comfortably
The 16ft retractable dog leash comes in three different sizes making an ideal option for dogs of all sizes. The stylish handle is comfortable for you with ergonomic design and no-slip grip, and the 360-degree tape movement gives your dog freedom.
The Quick Lock and Brake System makes it easy for you to quickly control your dog and make adjustments with just your thumb. Although this leash provides your dog with consistent retraction, it’s still incredibly strong and durable for those times with your dog is pulling.
- Patented tangle-free design prevents tangling from all directions
- Size options for small, medium and large dogs
- Ideal for long walks and hikes
- Large size isn’t ideal for dogs over 110lbs
This traditional style dog leash is simple yet durable and secure even for dogs that like to pull during walks. The easy-to-use metal clasp is built using nickel-plated zinc alloy to ensure the strongest hold on your dog’s harness or collar. There are five different size options with a variety of leash lengths and widths to choose from so you can select the ideal one for you and your dog.
- Sturdy and reliable clasp is strong enough for dogs that pull and tug
- Color, length and width options mean you can select the perfect one for you
- Compatible with a variety of collars and harness styles
- No handle padding
Primal Pet Gear brings you this innovative two-handle leash. One handle is located at the end of the 6ft leash and the second is one foot from the clasp. This is great for when you need to have extra control over your dog and hold them back. On busy sidewalks and crowded areas, it’s a great option to be able to keep your dog on a shorter leash. Both handles are padded for your comfort.
The leash is composed of high-quality, durable materials and features an extremely strong clasp to ensure your dog is secure even when pulling.
- Reflective stitching for visibility at night
- Thick nylon material is twice as thick as most leashes
- Zinc alloy clasp is rust-resistant
- Might not be ideal for tall dogs or shorter people
If you like taking longer walks or hikes with your dog, it’s a great option to be able to easily carry and access things like your smartphone, keys or wallet. This dog leash wraps around your waist and features expandable pouches to make this possible. Being hands-free while walking your dog gives your freedom to relax.
The waistband is 48inches long and is made from a shock-absorbing bungee material for when your dog starts pulling. When you do need to have some extra control over your dog, this leash also features a traffic handle.
- Dual handles give you options for leisure walking and tight control
- Highly reflective threading ensure visibility at night
- Heavy-duty 2inch clip
- Larger sized phones may not properly fit in the pouch
Here’s a great option if you’ve got two dogs to keep under control. This 360-degree swivel leash prevents the two leashes from tangling and allows your dogs the freedom to easily move around and explore. The shock-absorbing bungee material lets you comfortably walk with even the most rambunctious dogs.
When you do need to hold your dog closer, the padded handle allows you to comfortably hold them without leash burn.
- Safely walk your dogs at night with reflective stitching
- Heavy-duty build is strong enough to hold larger dogs
- Includes a waste bag dispenser
- May not be ideal for walking two dogs of different sizes
This extra heavy-duty leash was made withstand even the rowdiest of dogs. Built with tough nylon material to withstand chewing, thick rope and leather joints hold up against pulling. It also comes with a separate bungee to help absorb tension and shock for comfortable walking and less tension on your neck, back and arms.
Although this leash is so strong and durable, it’s also lightweight and stylish. It even comes with a storage bag to easily stow your leash and other pet gear.
- Access to The Smart Pet Owner Guide for tips and tricks for training, feeding and caring for your dog
- Strong, braided material is durable and long-lasting
- Reflective stripe for added safety at night
- Might be too heavy for smaller dogs
Retractable leashes allow you to adjust the length of your dog leash easily. This one extends up to 16ft and allows you to brake and recoil with the touch of your thumb. The brake a sturdy and perfect for when your dog starts to pull. The ergonomic handle and anti-slip grip make it great for long walks.
This heavy-duty leash is ideal for small, medium and large dogs up to 110lbs, making it a great leash to use with your puppy as they grow.
- Fray-proof nylon material withstands pulling
- Weather-proof allows for walking in even extreme temperatures
- Includes a plastic waste bags and a carrying case
- Clasp might not be large enough to for bigger leash/harness rings
Comfortably walk dogs up to 150lbs without straining your arms or back. Dual bungees help to absorb the shock of jerking and pulling, while the built-in waistband allows you to use your hands freely. Should your dog need extra control and handling, two built-in handles allow you to hold your dog closer and quickly pull them back.
You can also easily walk two dogs of different sizes thanks to the dual D-ring, all while freely using your phone or having a coffee.
- Highly reflective stitching makes night walking safe
- Extends up to 67in to comfortably walk dogs of all sizes
- Extra handles make the leash great for training
- Set up and adjustments may be time consuming
This is a super convenient slip rope lets you walk your dogs without a harness or collar. The adjustable loop easily fits around the neck of small or large dogs. The heavy-duty rope is strong enough for mountain climbing and just 1/2inch thick, strong enough to withstand strong lunging and pulling of even large dogs. It’s machine washable and waterproof, making perfect for everyday walks or even hiking in the rain.
- Tested with up to 1000lbs of force
- Reflective threads are sewn in for visibility
- One size fits all
- No handle padding
What’s a Good Leash for Pulling?
If your dog likes to pull while walking, a good leash is essential for protecting you and your dog. It’s almost impossible to find a leash that will completely stop the pulling, but there are some leashes out there that can really help.
The most important function of a leash made for pulling is to help reduce the shock and impact that the leash can have on your shoulders, arms, neck and back. However, you also want it to be well suited for the size of your dogs and comfortable for your height.
How To Choose the Best Dog Leash for Pulling
Here are a few important things to look for when shopping for a great leash for pulling:
Choose the Right Style
You’ve got a few different options when it comes to the style of the leash. Standard leashes are going to be the most sturdy and some will even come with an extra handle, which is great if you have a very strong dog and might need to use two hands at times.
If your dog only pulls every now and then, a retractable leash is a great option for giving them some extra freedom but still having the ability to put on the breaks at a second’s notice.
Choose the Right Material
Nylon is a great option and one of the most common materials out there when it comes to leashes. However, if you go for a nylon standard style leash, make sure it comes with padding on the handles because you can easily get leash burn.
Bungee and climbing rope are also really great option absorbing the shock and tension of pulling.
Take Your Dog to Your Local Pet Store
A lot of pet stores will let you take your dog in and try on some leashes. This really helps to get an idea of the fit and length to make sure that it’s comfortable for the both of you. It also gives you the opportunity to ask employees questions about popular ones and even get recommendations for training in your area.
How To Train Your Dog Not To Pull
First and foremost, it’s important to make sure you’ve gotten your dog the right leash and harness/collar. Then it’s time to actually start the training for proper leash behavior.
As will all dog training, positive reinforcement is the most effective method to use. Be sure to pack some small training treats to take along on walks for when your dog is doing well. To start, just take smaller, fast-paced walks. Keep a tight grip on the leash with little leeway at first so that your dogs know that you’re in control.
If your dog starts to get excited or is jumping around, just pull the leash tight and make them settle down before you begin moving on. It’s important to let them know that you’re not going to tolerate it and if they want to keep going, they must calm down.
Ensuring your dog can walk properly on a leash is important for the safety of both you and your dog. Especially if they are big and strong, they can easily injure themselves, you or even someone else if they get loose. The first step to getting them trained and under control is getting a proper leash that’s good for pulling.
There are many great options out there and it’s important to consider what will be best for your specific dog. Consider the ones in this list and you and your dog will be walking with ease in no time at all.